Thursday, January 27, 2005

wow it's raining hard out here

i guess living in seattle gets you accustomed to gloomy skies and light drizzle 9 months out of the year. on the way home tonight, it was raining really hard and it was kind of refreshing to see contrasting weather once again - reminds me of michigan.

also on my way home tonight, i stopped by ikea to pick up some new furniture. the thing is, i drive a small compact car and i needed to buy a new bed and some dressers. for some reason, i had convinced myself that i could fit the pieces for a queen size bed frame, 2 dressers and a nightstand all in the back of my poor little toyota celica. being from the online generation, i had already scoured ikea.com and knew exactly what i wanted to get. i tried to quickly run through the showroom and find the items so i could jot down where to find the flat packed boxes in the self-serve warehouse. of course, i got lost somewhere in between living rooms and kitchens; i probably spent a good 20 minutes circling around taking "shortcuts" through the store.

after the showroom adventure, i finally found my way to the warehouse and realized how big the pieces for a queen size bed are. undeterred, i decided that i would try to fit it in my car anyways. so i loaded up my cart and went to checkout where i chose the slowest checkout line in the history of checkout lines. this gave me a lot of time to mentally visualize fitting all these huge boxes in my trunk. in my mind, i still saw it working out. after what felt like forever, it was finally my turn and i checked out, wheeled my furniture to the loading area and pulled my car up.

when i got out of my car, i looked at my cart and then at my trunk and thought: oh no. a queen size headboard is definitely not meant to fit in my hatchback. defeated, i went to find an ikea worker to inquire about shipping options. he took a look and said, "hey man, shipping is going to cost you at least $59. this stuff will fit, you want me to try?"

i figured this would be a fun exercise in frustration so i agreed to give it a go. i folded down the back seats, jammed my front seats as far forward as i could and we started loading stuff in. remarkably, the guy was able to get everything to fit in there on the first try. i was pretty impressed. the only problem was, i had slid my seat so close to the wheel that i physically wasn't able to drive anymore.

remarkably, the ikea guy was nice enough to help me unpack my car and repack it a couple more times until it finally all fit in there with my seat at a normal position. i must admit, this was the most fun i'd ever had at ikea.

so now my car is packed full of ikea boxes to be unloaded at my new apartment tomorrow :) many thanks to the ikea worker who helped me load my stuff, it definitely was the best customer service i've had in a while.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr jen, now that you are famous, please stop blogging and get a freakin life :P like calling your gf...while you still have one :(

1/27/2005 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

its really, REALLY hard to follow those lovely comments ahead of me, yet here i try...

that is probably the best customer service from a warehouse to date... i wish the stinkin' warehouses, esp. furniture, would realize that customer service is actually trying to helpful, not bothersome :P

1/27/2005 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Olaf said...

My father-in-law and I have been working hard to move my wife's (his daughter, if you follow) business to a new building a mere block from its current location. We managed to get all of the largest items requiring a trailer moved first, thereby quickly filling the new location's floors from the center, outward. The last item to move was a largish desk built by my step-father some years ago. The desk was supposed to be located in a small office on a second floor, overlooking the store. The trouble is that the staircase leading to the door and the door are both non-standard. The desk is approximately 30" deep and 28" high. The staircase, although narrow, was not a serious problem because it's open, and we could carry the desk over the railing. The door at the top of the stairs, however, is a scant 29" wide at its best. With the door left on its hinges (I couldn't manage to remove the hinge pins), the space was too narrow to get our desk through. As I assessed our problem, I considered the open windows located in front of the office, but away from the staircase and 15 or so feet above the ground. I too, visualized this process as a working theory. We reached the top of the stairs and I moved the desk out from the stairs to balance an edge on the window sill. Fortunately for me, I'm 6' 6" and the 3 or more feet needed to reach the window were easily overtaken (though the weight of the desk at this expansion was tremendous). In the end, I was successful and the desk was then wrenched through the window from the staircase. Kudos to our bullish ways and illconceived notions of success through unlikely odds!

1/28/2005 06:46:00 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

noooo

do stay :P

1/28/2005 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. MFEMFEM said...

Like they say, good things come to those who wait. (not necessarily in checkout lines)

1/29/2005 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Wai Mun said...

post some pic of your apartment!

2/01/2005 06:35:00 AM  
Blogger Darnell Clayton said...

Hey! You don't mind if I post about you in the Google Community? Let me know whether or not that would be okay (I don't want to get you in trouble or anything). Selah!

2/01/2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger ipodgirl said...

ooo sooo jealous! I love IKEA. Can't wait til they open one here in ATL. It should be this summer :>

I'll probably have fun trying to fit the stuff I want into my little bug too.

2/02/2005 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Wood said...

Post a pic of your packed Celica with all that stuff in it. Sound's like it's Dr. Who's Tardis.

I bought a kitchen once from Ikea. Everything except the countertops. That is when shipping becomes a good idea. It came in 95 boxes. And the delivery guys wanted me to confirm I had everything... One slim brown cardboard packing box sure looks pretty much the same as the next as they go by one after the other. Excellent customer service at that location you were at.

2/03/2005 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2/08/2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

why did you get fired? please tell me, i have to know. i really want to know. i gotta know. please. why don't you tell me.

i heard that HR in google got over 400 complaints about your blog and other people threatened to quit if you weren't fired immediately.

back to msft? is it still raining hard?

"Do No Evil"

2/08/2005 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger paulsepp said...

opps, you got fired...well better luck with your next job.
paulsepp.blogspot.com

2/09/2005 01:55:00 AM  
Blogger Rakele said...

Congrats!! You've been fired from Gugol, that's the best thing that could happen to you!

I'm sure they would find a good explanation why you've been terminated but I know they will lie.

They are very good at smiling while they stab you in the back.

Google is crap, now you know it

2/09/2005 03:38:00 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Wow Seattle sounds dreary. You should come back to Michigan.

-- Student in Kalamazoo

2/09/2005 03:46:00 AM  
Blogger God Hates Kittens said...

Lucky bastard made it on /. Apparently showing up nekkid at my work ain't enough to get fired from my job ;-(

2/09/2005 08:08:00 AM  
Blogger West said...

hope you find a new job buddy........sorry aboooot your luck

google's going down hill anyways. they're getting too big, too fast.

wait till the bottom drops out..........

2/09/2005 08:23:00 AM  
Blogger Rakele said...

"I worked for a bunch of idiots, not Google"

Who says google is not a bunch of idiots? Or worst, they ARE EVIL

2/09/2005 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, there are plenty of ppl here who hate goog, just coz its growin too fast. Probly some kinda 'Rich guys are EVIL' kinda attitude.

Well, fella.........., You're the one guy who has become a celeb coz ur fired (cnet, /., boy i wanna get fired too) . Be happy though, that the WHOLE world knows that u r fired (or canned or whatever), and they are here consoling you!

Well, u'll have a hard time findin ur next job, coz they'll ask:

Name?
Mark Jen
The 99zeroes guy?
Well..... Sir.....
Sorry! Cant take u myte!

Or probably, u may just get an easy entry coz u passed all those interviews at goog.

Anyway, All the best (And CONTINUE to Blog!)

Regards,
RoastedNeutrons

2/09/2005 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger PhantomStar said...

"I have to agree that tucker aka "tuckermax" is an absolute idiot. i have the misfortune of knowing him personally."

I agree with you, but I am lucky not to know this person at all. He posts a bunch of hate and thinks that entertainment. The only thing funny about that is the fool he makes of himself.

Getting fired sucks yes, but learn from the mistakes you did make and move on. Thats the only advice I can possibly give.

PhantomStar

2/10/2005 09:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home